Arthritis is a disease involving the joints, or the areas in your body where bones come together. There are many types of arthritis but the two most common types are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Osteoarthritis: This type of arthritis develops in the joints because of the joints being overused. It wears away the cartilage in between the bones leaving the bones less cushioned. As a result, the bones rub together making it very painful. More information on it can be found here.
Rheumatoid arthritis: This occurs when the body produces enzymes which attack its own healthy tissues and destroy the joint linings. There causes swelling, stiffness and abnormal joint shapes which are all very painful.
1. Joints are painful
2. Joints are swelling
3. Joints are stiff and hard to move
4. Joints are red
Also fever could accompany one of the areas above.
1. Encourage them to eat meals rich in calcium and vitamin D (eg. Dairy products, citrus fruits, green vegetables)
2. Exercise with them to make the bones stronger and stimulate more bone-making cells. Focus on exercises that have a wide range of motions such as yoga or tai chi.
How to prevent yourself from getting arthritis later:
1. Eat well-balanced meals, especially food that has lots of calcium such as milk or yogurt.
2. Do sport or exercise jkhjkjhkhjkjgjkjhjkhjkjhk
3. Don’t smoke
4. Don’t drink lots of alcohol.
Maybe you know someone with arthritis. You will probably realize they walk and move slower than you do. Just remember that it’s probably really painful for them to move so make sure you go at the person’s pace and that you’re patient.